Saturday, 18 April 2015

Floral Turia Dungarees

 Hi everyone! For my second Minerva Crafts Blogger make I decided to bite the bullet and make some floral dungarees. There were a lot of firsts in this particular sewing project; mainly the sewing of flat-fell seams and figuring out how to attach a dungaree buckle! But, I made them because I wanted to try something new. Dungarees have not featured in my wardrobe since I was a toddler and I wanted to try out a new silhouette, which is more casual than my usual style.

 I don't normally wear jeans or trousers because I just find skirts and dresses more comfortable, but I thought that using a stretch cotton could make my dungarees more comfortable to wear and it really does. That little bit of stretch makes a world of difference. I went with a floral, to make my dungarees more original, and so they fit in more with my style!
The fabric (being cotton) presses extremely well, which was really useful when doing the flat-felled seams. For flat-felled seams I'd recommend cutting your notches outside of the seam allowance, because they caught me out when I tried to fold them over. My top-stitching is decidedly iffy in places, but it's getting there! The floral print is fantastic at hiding the dodgy bits. You can hardly see the pockets!
 The pattern I used was Pauline Alice's Turia Dungarees. I interfaced the sides of the bib (which are on the bias) because after 1 line of top-stitching they were looking decidedly wavy. I hoped that the interfacing would straighten the sides of the bib out a bit, which it did. Next time, I would probably interface the whole bib, just to make it a bit more sturdy.
The trousers are designed to be slightly cropped, but I cut the length to that of the largest size. Next time I would add a couple more cm's. The back pockets are actually invisible! There are 5 pockets in the pattern, but I ended up doing 4, and leaving out the one on the front bib because I'd already done 4 and no-one would really be able to see it anyway!
Overall, I'm really pleased with them, and am glad that I decided to try a new silhouette. I will be getting a lot of wear out of them!
Thank you very much to Minerva Crafts for providing the fabric, and to Ed for taking pictures!
Lauren xx

16 comments:

  1. Those are brilliant dungarees and they really suit you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait to make some more!

      Delete
  2. Lauren, these are awesome! You look adorable in them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh i love these! you look great in them :) dungarees are something i'd definitely love to try sewing in the future (i veer towards dresses too but i do love dungarees!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth! You should totally try dungarees out!

      Delete
  4. The fabric and the shape of these are lovely. I am tempted by this pattern now, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, definitely give the pattern a go!

      Delete
  5. They are beautiful! I love the floral print and I can totally understand you not wanting to make another pocket on the front bib. You will probably never put anything in the front pocket anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was definitely the right decision.

      Delete
  6. Wow I really like these! All of the "awesome" and none of the "farmer", that's quite the feat! Ah I hated my mom for making me wear dungarees as a kid but now I really really want a pair like this! 8 year old me would be pouting if she knew haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you! The phrase 'All of the "awesome" and none of the "farmer"' is fantastic.

      Delete
  7. I love these on you! That floral fabric is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lindsay! I'm very picky about my florals, but this one is perfect!

      Delete
  8. Oh wow, those dungarees are super cute and fit you so well! Congratulations :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so pleased with how they turned out.

      Delete