Monday 3 February 2014

Bridget Bardot Inspired Floral Trousers

When I learnt that the first week of Project Sewn's theme was fashion icons, I asked Dad for a list of names (turns out he is surprisingly knowledgeable about this sort of thing) and he obliged. I then turned to pinterest and looked at pics of all of the people whose names had been given to me. The lady who's style I liked the best was Bridget Bardot. I loved her dotty trousers and gingham skirt (both found on my pinterest sewing inspiration board) but I decided to make my own version of her floral trousers.
Image found here: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/293578469431417853/
The pattern I used was Style 1836, which came in a size 6 so I thought this would be the most likely of my trouser patterns to fit me. I was wrong.

This was what my mock-up looked like. Wasn't really going for the clown look. Oh and I do apologise for the state of my room. What can I say, I just get so absorbed in all the sewing side of things, tidiness is much further down the priority list) And by the way, sewing fly front zips is such a doddle now! I get really scared of trying something new, but I just need to go for it.
Luckily the crotch parts seemed okay, so I pinned a huge chunk out of the side seams.
This I was happy with, so I unpicked the left hand side of the mock-up and cut out my fabric using that as my pattern piece.
The floral fabric is a cotton poplin that I picked out from the Remnant House. I love wearing the trousers with an over-sized jumper and my brown boots. They go really well over tights at the moment, but will also work without for spring and summer. Apologies for the whole sun situation that I'm having there.
All in all I love these trousers to bits and have worn them a countless number of times already. These are one of those pieces that just make me feel confidant to strut down the street in, wearing them makes me feel good and instantly lifts my mood. This is what I sew for.

Thanks very much for reading!
Lauren xx